ISSUED: 24th March 2017
The Coalition of African Lesbians (CAL) seeks expressions of interest from suitable candidates to undertake a short research, writing and editing consultancy in April and May 2017. The Consultancy may be awarded to an individual or a team of consultants either in an organisation or working as independent consultants.
CAL is a feminist, activist and pan Africanist network of 14 organisations in 11 countries in sub-Saharan Africa committed to advancing freedom, justice and bodily autonomy for all women on the African continent and beyond.
Purpose of the consultancy
- Review the existing publication, identify gaps and weakenesses and develop a plan to address these gaps through desk and primary research.
- Plan, conduct and write up 5 key informant interviews, 2 focus groups and integrate this into the existing publication.
- Engage CAL secretariat and membership ensuring that the publication articulates CAL’s politics and mandate.
- Bring the publication to print-ready quality, including through introducing new writing and editing existing writing in the publication.
The successful candidate will meet the following criteria:
- Sound research experience – specifically in participatory and feminist approaches to feminist knowledge production,
- Strong writing skills, with solid publishing track record,
- Excellent analytical skills and experience in writing on queer topics, from a feminist, intersectional and pan African perspective,
- Deep understanding of social justice work and the movements that lead this work,
- Nuanced understanding of the current political, economic and social context on the African continent, the geopolitical landscape and organising in hostile contexts.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
The duration of this contract is 30 working days, commencing immediately and to be concluded by 18th May 2017.
Remote / Flexible
Expressions of Interest should include
1.1. An up to date CV and company/organisational profile where relevant
1.2. A letter of motivation, expressing interest in the consultancy
1.3. Two contactable references, one of which should be a client of a similar or related project to this call
1.4. A published writing sample of 10 pages or more, where the applicant is the sole author.
SEND APPLICATIONS TO: Varyanne Sika
Email: email@example.com by 31st March 2017. Please use the subject line “CAL Research / Writing Consultancy”