The Coalition of African Lesbians is a women’s rights organisation working on all women’s rights issues and developing the ideas of radical African lesbian feminisms. We are a coalition of members in 15 countries. We have a Support Office in Johannesburg, South Africa where we are registered as a Non-Profit Organisation.
Start date: by February 2018
Application deadline: 12 midday RSA time, 22 November 2017
The Programmes Director provides leadership and manages all aspects of the translation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and planning of CAL ongoing Programmes and projects in keeping with the Constitution of CAL and the mandates of the CAL General Assembly.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Director of Programmes is accountable for positioning the organisation in terms of it’s organising at the international, regional, sub-regional and national levels so that it is able to deliver on its mandate to members. The position requires a high level of knowledge, skill and experience at the policy, strategy and operations levels. The successful candidate will be a team builder, bring a strong track record in feminist leadership within social movements and have experience in managing both programmes, projects and staff who are at middle management levels.
The Director of Programmes will report, alongside the Director: Development, to the Board of CAL and should meet the following criteria:
- Knowledge, experience and skill in social justice work, women’s rights and feminist movements, organisations and spaces
- Committed to building relationships and solidarity and passionate about teams and team building
- Subscribe to feminist values
- Demonstrated abilities in strategic thinking on multiple issues faced by African women today, including economic, social and political with some focus on sexuality and gender
- A strong geopolitical analysis and capability to integrate this into programming
- Strong conceptual skills with a track record and experience in programme design, development and implementation within and across countries and sub-regions
- Experience in working at the international, regional, sub-regional and national level
- Understanding of networks, coalitions and alliances within movements and across movements
- A strong track record in working with others to contribute to building movements
- The ability to support and oversee a programme team of 10 or more people
- The ability to forge and sustain partnerships with a wide range of groups from various movements and ideological backgrounds
- Ability and experience in ensuring implementation of complex plans including within an unpredictable, shifting and hostile context
- A qualification in a relevant field at a minimum of Bachelors level
- Strong fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Between 5 and 10 years’ experience in some or all of the above
Interested candidates should submit their CVs with contactable references and a letter of motivation for the position.
Please mark in subject line: APPLICATION: DIRECTOR
Coalition of African Lesbians
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Midday RSA time 22 November 2017.